The Restorative Care Unit (RCU) at Swain Community Hospital...
dedicated to helping you get back into the swing of things
45 Plateau Street, Bryson City, NC 28713
Phone: 828.488.4006 / Fax: 828.488.4039
Sometimes a little extra skilled care is needed, and a patient may qualify for admission to our RCU, also known as a Swing Bed as defined by Medicare.
Located in the heart of our westernmost counties, Swain Community Hospital provides experienced, compassionate, and personalized care to individuals recovering and in need of extended care.
- After joint replacement or other orthopedic surgery
- Deconditioning following an illness or extended hospital stay
- Post-surgical wound care
- Wound care requiring wound vac and/or IV therapies
- Debilitation secondary to multiple trauma, i.e. MVA, etc..
- Decreased mobility compromised by comorbid conditions such as CHF, COPD, CVA, etc...
- Low patient-to-nurse ratio in quiet setting
- Care provided in hospital, with access to higher level of care if needed
- Daily rounds available by advanced practice providers
- Access to Chaplaincy services and MSW
- Rooms designated to meet the physical needs of patient as well as accommodating to family visits
- Patient must have had at least a 3 day stay (3 overnights) within past 30 days in an acute hospital.
- Patient has a continuing skilled need related to the inpatient admission.
- Patient has Medicare part A or other private insurance with hospital-based skilled care benefits with skilled days available.
- Patient is considered medically stable and has a willingness to participate in the RCU program.
- Patient has potential to improve and/or be restored to a level of self care exhibited prior to the acute event.
- Patient will be encouraged and expected to get out of bed for meals, dress in street clothes, and actively participate in daily therapies as ordered.